Friday, September 22, 2006

Concepts Covered on September 21st

  • Enlightenment tenets
  • Liberal Feminism (tenets/alterations)
  • Deconstruction of Enlightenment Subject (as feminist)
  • Classical/Orthodox Marxism (Adorno and Horkheimer)
  • Dialectical (Historical) Materialism (Marx)
  • Commodity
  • Exchange Value
  • Use Value
  • Automaton
  • Alienation
  • Ideology (Classical Marx/British Cultural Studies)
  • Base/Superstructure
  • Economic Determinism
  • Consciousness Raising (Adorno/Horkheimer/2nd Wave F)
  • Women as distinct Class (2nd Wave F)
  • Culture Industry
  • "True" Needs
  • Popular Culture/Mass Production
  • False Needs
  • Standardization
  • Formulaic Repetition
  • Negation of Resistance/Veiled Exploitation
  • Emancipation of Consumer Consciousness
  • Pluralism and Demystification
  • Uneven Development
  • Hegemony
  • The Ideological Subject
  • Ideological Problematic
  • Emphasis on Practice: (representation and meaning)
  • Structure
  • Tension as Interdependence
  • Viewer as Commodity and Consumer
  • Television: Apparent Naturalized Unity
  • Self-Reflexivity or Self-Referentiality (intertextual and extratextual referencing)
  • Reappropriation

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If use value determines exchange value, then I have a proposition for you. I’d like to propose an exchange of you posting your weekly list of key concepts, which I find extremely useful, for a terms supply of dry erase markers (the colour of your choice), which you will no doubt find extremely useful. However, since such an idea (though based on and intended only as a witty reply to a daunting list of class concepts) may be misinterpreted as foul play; I have another suggestion. How about an exchange of your happy self in class on Thursday, and my dumb ass madly scribbling more notes?

Le sigh. Have a good weekend, and thank you for the list.

Heather Tapley said...

I WISH (like Adorno and Horkheimer)that use value determined exchange value. Unfortunately (because I need to replenish my stash of dry markers), it doesn't.

Such is the world in which we live, slams. A&H imagined another.

Of course, there's always slippage. Perhaps I'll publish a list of concepts again... perhaps, sometime, maybe...HT